Tuesday, December 11, 2007

how many days left?

Man, I have got to get on it. There's something like, what, two days left until Christmas and I am woefully behind on shopping. I love people, but really don't care for crowds (unless they're chanting my name and/or throwing flowers and/or cash at me, all things that have yet to happen), so the mall is definitely out. That leaves sending off Kate to do my bidding or on-line shopping. Since I'm still working to get Kate on the program (didn't I include something regarding obedience in the vows?), I'm left with on-line shopping. Historically, I've done okay with it, but I usually find myself braving the crowds at the eleventh hour year after year. This time around, things are going the be different, so even if I have to resort to mail-ordering Viper Pliers for everybody on the list, I'm dodging the mall at all costs. Time to do some quality surfing on Amazon then. As long as I can avoid the "one for you, one for me," approach to shopping, I should be able to take care of business. Plus, I don't think it makes me a bad person if I limit gift options to those that ship with Free Super Shipping Saver Discounts. Sure, I usually know just the thing to put a smile on my brother's face come Christmas morning, but if I can duck the $7.95 in shipping, he's getting that third copy of Dianetics.

Thanks to everyone that's keeping Nautical Agent in mind. She's been taking care of business at Overbrook this week, which is great. Our short term goal is to get through the month and, so far, she's been the model patient. I'll have to get down there with some treats to mark the holidays and reward her for being so good. She'd much prefer a saddle and rider, but she'll just have to settle for carrots and the occasional jacket sleeve. If she's good to go come the new year, we'll figure out where she ought to hang out for the balance of her recovery.

No news from Fair Hill re: Veiled Reference. I saw that she worked this weekend, slowly, as planned. Tim will likely let her roll a bit next weekend which should set her up for an engagement later this month. Word is back from the stewards in WV that we'll be good to put the blinkers back on her next out. She'll miss scoping out the latest fashion trends on the apron, and just maybe will keep her mind on running through the lane. I'll show her pictures afterwards of what the crowds were wearing.

Check It Twice was recently sold and transferred to the Pletcher barn. Why should you care? Colt was sired by Repent, who's daddy is none other than Louis Quatorze, the sire of Veiled Reference herself. He'll race down at Gulfstream Park through the winter.

No comments: