Friday, December 28, 2007

bridge loan to nowhere

As I've touched on in the past, we're all about sustainability here in NJ. For example, have a look at the measures being put in place to see to it that happy horses are bred in-state for years to come. You'll like this one. I just can't believe it never occurred to anyone to maybe grab a copy of Quicken at Best Buy and balance the books every so often. I mean, everyone's had that time or two when they've sent out a check and had to do the mad dash to the bank to cover it, but c'mon, I've never had the state legislature bail me out. And, sure, I know that the breeders were counting on supplemental monies, but that's like spending holiday bonus money before it's actually in hand ("What do you mean, 'marginally competent?' What about my bonus? I already bought the Play Station! Don't do me like this!"). Yeah, the state will throw a $5m or $10 bone at the breeders, whatever it is, but it's all just a bit of pissing into the wind, I'm afraid, and certainly won't help see to higher state foal crops. Ladies and gentlemen, New Jersey Racing!

Hope everyone has had a great holiday season so far. I'm off to Maine to ring in the New Year, which should be a good time. Depending on what kind of snow we get, it could mean a lot of Scrabble and bear hunting out back of the house. (Okay, one of those two is a lie.) If it really comes down, maybe I'll get to take a spin in the John Deere and plow some driveways. Anyway, if the site gets a little too quiet over this next stretch, you'll know how things went down. Just try to remember me fondly.

No comments: