Tuesday, July 1, 2008

she looks familiar

Was real thrilled to watch Ouchy Night run off in her debut last week at Belmont Park. Filly is daughter of Cactus Ridge that we went after last August at Saratoga when up there with Tim. Bidding stopped at $95,000 (we were out at $75,000, I think), so kudos to her breeder/owner for hanging on to the really nice prospect. I would have had a tough time going to a $100k for her, no matter how good she looked (and she was rock solid, man), so no hard feelings. Good to know that we were on to a nice one, anyway. Next time, I'm spending the money and rounding up dollars from readership via paypal. I figure that gets me about an extra 30 or 40 bucks, maybe, but I'll take what I can get. Can't touch the filly for less than $250k now, I'd imagine.

Barclay Tagg is happy with Princess Jess, winner of the Boiling Springs on Saturday at Monmouth, but feels that Joe Bravo moved too soon with her (scroll down in article). I'm no fan of Joey B., but I thought he actually rode her perfectly. She's a bigger filly with a more sustained run than an explosion and he did a good job to move with her on the turn and beat the quicker closers to the punch. She's more suited to the wide, sweeping turns of Belmont than she is to MP or the Spa (where she'll likely go in the Lake George), so I'm inclined to play against her next out, especially if Tagg is intent on having her, sit, sit, sit and make a run. She's a nice filly, but she'll get out-kicked to the wire playing that game against legit fillies. We'll see how it plays out later this month.

No comments: