Saturday, August 11, 2007

black friday


We must have needed a bigger downturn in the markets. Our lone bullet at the sale, a filly by Cactus Ridge, did not meet her reserve and went unsold with $95,000 as the final bid. That's her pictured. I can only imagine what kind of number they wanted, but a reserve north of $100,000 for the filly strikes me as excessive. I mean, her sire stands for $6500, so we're talking serious multiples of the stud fee. That'll teach me to stay away from first-year studs, even the more obscure ones like Cactus Ridge. Our other target, a filly by Five Star Day, didn't vet out for us, though she did sell for $95,000, an amazing figure given her size (small) and growing that she still had to come. It was a minor issue with her scope that knocked her off our list. If I had a few million in the bank and landed her for $35,000 it would be fine, but I'm short the millions and $95,000 is a tad much to buy her on spec.

We'll hang tight and gear up for the Keeneland and Timonium sales coming up over the next few months. I've always liked the Timonium sale, so it's not a bother to keep the powder dry until it comes around. The babies get a few more months to mature, my bank account gets a temporary stay and we'll have a better sense of where we stand with the two (Mass Romantic and Veiled Reference) coming along for the stable.

No comments: