Tuesday, August 7, 2007

heat wave

Delaware Park canceled on Tuesday and there's a decent chance that they'll pull the plug on tomorrow's card. As of tonight, it's on and Fortuna will go (I use 'go' very loosely, of course). If I hear anything in the morning, I'll put something up. It's supposed to be even hotter tomorrow, so don't waste your time trying to apply logical thinking to how they make these decisions.

Veiled Reference worked a good half mile on Saturday down in Ocala (49 seconds). She worked with the same filly that went with her last out and kept pace well within herself. Last week Bo said that she got a little tired and had to work harder late in the breeze, but with the work under her belt she was plenty fit to handle her workmate on Saturday. I was off by a week on the ship - she'll work an easy 5/8ths this weekend before coming up to Maryland. That should give Tim a good 3o days to have her set for a debut at Laurel in late September.

Nautical Agent is jogging away at Fair Hill. She deserves a few weeks of light training after her last few in Virginia. We'll firm up plans for her over the coming weeks and look to get her back to the races later in the month.

I'm up at the Fasig Tipton NY-bred yearling sale at Saratoga later this week. I was encouraged by the declines posted in the Select sale (at least on Monday night). It seems that uncertainty over the stock market has given some folks pause. My asset allocation calculator calls for 0% bonds, 50% stocks and 50% equine flesh, so we're okay to test the waters. If I can get the computer up and running, I'll try to post from the Spa. You'll all be with me in spirit, I'm sure.

No comments: