Friday, February 13, 2009

oh, no, we're trapped

Okay, more horses, less politics and policy. I get it. In an informal survey of my reader, it was made clear that my commentary related to DC comings and goings is a drag. Just too much anger coming across on the page. People typically get their fill of rage when driving in the car, or hanging out at DMV, so dealing with it here might just be the tipping point. Fair enough. I want this to be a happy place for all of us.

(You should, though, read this. I won't say anything else, okay? Just that 10 years is a lot of years. Especially when doing time and definitely during big bears.)

Switching gears, how about a video from upstate NY?




Nautical kept trying to get after the bag of peppermints that my buddy, Brad, was holding. She kept digging at my pockets, too, just in case I was holding out. We hooked her up with a truckload of those suckers, so she's probably carrying a food baby in her belly now, in addition to the real one that's coming along. All well on that front, I'm happy to report. She's doing everything like a champ; if all well, she'll foal in late April, early May. Gold Fever is the father. He has since relocated to Minnesota, so working out a visitation schedule is gonna be tricky.

She looks really good, definitely put on a bit of size. You'd describe her as a medium sized mare now, which is fine enough. We sometimes had trouble keeping weight on her when she was racing, so it was great to see that she's continued on maturing while in her new job. Donna, who looks after her, also reports that she's fallen into a good routine with her band of fellow broodmares. The five of them get on really well together. When my dad inquired if our girl was still getting picked on, we were thrilled to learn that she now more than holds her own out there. "Oh, she's nowhere close to low mare on the totem pole." I don't know, maybe they tell that to everyone, but at least Nautical was acting like she was happy and confident with herself. I'll allow myself to believe that she's got the other broodmares painting her toenails and preparing her taxes, all while the Agent opines on the stock market and what Gold Fever must be up to out in Minnesota.

2 comments:

lungfish said...

She's not really showing much, compared to Octomom!

Sean said...

You've got that right. Maiden mares typically carry their foals high up; belly drops over the years as the tally grows. We thought about going for 8 at once, but diaper costs just too much. We'd need a TV deal a la Jon and Kate plus 8.