Monday, March 24, 2008

where's the wire?

Go ahead and have a look at Steve Haskin's Derby notes recently posted up on bloodhorse.com. They're always worth the read, and every so often you get the nugget or two that's worth filing away. This week's piece is primarily on Pyro, so I figured it only fair to chime in with my thoughts on the colt (you know, because the world deserves to know where I stand). So, he's a nice horse. A really, really nice horse. The knock, though, as it relates to the Derby is that he'll be tremendously vulnerable at the distance if only because he moves too sharply for his own good. I mean, he's just a super-duper accelerator. He's not, though, much of a stayer, and you've got to have some stay in you to win the Derby. My gut is that he'll make his usual sharp move and find himself wanting in the final quarter. The form will go, he'll wonder what the hell is going on and someone will out-grind him to the wire. As I've previously posted, my money is on either Colonel John (stayer) or Elsyium Fields (grinder) to take him out. Doesn't mean Pyro is a bad horse, of course, only that's he'll be more vulnerable at the 1m 1/4 than some would have you believe. Now that War Pass has been exposed, I'll need Pyro to get to the Derby unscathed to have any hope of cashing a ticket worth the few bucks, so let's hope that he rolls in his final prep. For what it's worth, my favorite part of that whole article was the bit where Garret Gomez's agent, Ron Anderson, goes on about Pyro's greatness. Is there a bigger kiss of death than a jock's agent extolling your virtues? It's the equivalent of when TLC started up shows on flipping houses where total tools would put in new tile and hardwood floors and then beam into the camera about how easy the money was. I feel that the jocks' agents getting on board with Pyro is about the same thing. Makes me kind of skeptical. We'll see one way or the other whether his bubble bursts, too, in the few weeks.

No comments: