Wednesday, February 20, 2008

all quiet

No news out of Fair Hill today, which I'll take as a good sign because I'm an optimistic person. Tim can probably only take so many phone calls with me crying on the other end, so I didn't hear anything new. Veiled Reference was to go back to the track for another morning of training. I imagine if she were howling in pain afterwards that I would have gotten a phone call.

I managed to track down an old article on-line that covers some of the more common foot ailments and found it a useful read. Actually, I just re-read it and it mainly covers stone bruises, but it's still worth a look. Tim reported that there was no longer a pulse in the hoof (there had been one earlier on) and that's got to be a good thing. She's been trending the right way ever since showing signs of a problem, so I'm of the mind that she did the equivalent of banging a knee. It hurts like hell immediately afterwards, remains tender for the few days and then is usually okay. Maybe she's working through the tenderness stage these days. Do keep in mind that these are the words of a desperate man grasping at straws, but, still, I could be right. Anyway, we'll just keep on with her and see how she fares.

It was great fun watching the seventh today at Laurel, especially that last quarter of a mile in 26 and change. Pletcher's filly wasn't at her best and the early speed just walked the field through the mile. In my mind, Veiled Reference sat right on the leader's flank and had her measured each step of the way, but I guess that one will have to be filed with the host of other fantasies back in my hall of records, right next to the one where the Victoria's Secret models call me up for help with a fitting session. "OMG, I feel so fat! What guy would ever find me attractive?" (That's the part where I clear my throat and swing for the fences.)

Have to get back on to Doug, but I think we'll probably x-ray Nautical Agent next week. She's busy feasting on cookies morning, noon and night down in Colts Neck and looks to be loving life these days. If all well, there might be plans in the mix to breed her later in the season.

No comments: