Sunday, January 6, 2008

who is that guy?

We were up in Maine for New Year's and the place just got pounded with snow over the few days, somewhere around 16-18 inches, I think. It was touch and go as to whether we'd make it back to NJ or just settle in for the season, but once Kate's dad busted out his beast of a tractor it became clear that I could stop hoarding almonds to sock away under my pillow. Jim was good enough to let me take a spin and I was smart enough to stick to more simple tasks, so once I managed to avoid driving the thing through the foyer (and it was close), it was smiles all around. Sure, I likely burned ten bucks of fuel for the 18-inch strip that I managed to plow, but the job got done and, besides, the Bushies have taught us that energy efficiency is for pansies.

Back on the road again tonight, off to Baltimore and then Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Kate is interviewing at a few internship sites and I've been charged with mingling with the coeds at the campus libraries, which shouldn't be a problem. I was peeved to be reminded that colleges are all out on winter break these days, so I'll have to settle for roaming the streets and taking in the scenery. If I'm really on my game, I'll try to get some of the work done that's been on the back burner since Christmas. Vegas reports that money is flooding in on 'not gonna happen.'

If all breaks well, I'll try to hit up Fair Hill on the way back. Woolley and I will sort out a schedule for Veiled Reference and otherwise catch up on the latest and greatest. Once back on the scene here I'll get down to Colts Neck to visit with Nautical Agent, now based at Ponderosa Farm. She's still doing her thing and remains on schedule for radiographs in about a month.

Finally, it's all overwhelming, I know, but our boy, Express Tour, fired off another winner to kick off '08. First time starter won and paid like a good thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
LindaVA said...

Thanks for mentioning Nautical Agent! I followed her on Tim's site and met her during a visit to Fair Hill. Glad to hear she's doing well, PLEASE give us a full update after you see her.