Friday, January 9, 2009

stimulus 2009

Tax cuts??? Please. Keynes had it right way back in the day: we need dollars pumped into the economy on a massive scale, primarily in the form of serious public spending. Sure, you'll deal with inefficiencies (couldn't be worse than NJ or Baltimore), but we'll get more bang for the buck, dollar for dollar, plus the longterm benefit of actually having built something. Like, maybe a bridge or two, or, a few rail lines so average folks will be able to get to one of these millions of jobs that we'll create. Put money in the pockets of big business, and my bet is they're mighty slow to spend it. Besides, they seem more inclined to pay out retention bonuses and create footholds in China these days. How about our own Marshall Plan, because there's no good reason why we shouldn't have the best infrastructure system in the world. Is there? Are you telling me that Eisenhower gets the last word on how we get around in this country? Sheeeeiiiiit. Say it ain't so.

Stopped in to see Veiled Reference yesterday and got a shot of her without the blanket. I was really pleased to see that she didn't blow up over the holidays. Here I went and got all fat myself, just to put on sympathy weight, or whatever you would call it, and then I show up to see her all skinny and stuff. What's up with that? Well, she didn't call me out (I was wearing black, though, plus I'm still quick on my feet) and we had a nice few minutes hanging out. Had a chat with Tim and he seemed pleased enough with how she's settled in. She's mellow now, having had the break, versus her rowdier ways when only allowed to go at the jog. This time around she'll jog for around 30 days and then start back galloping. I made a point to explain to her that she needs to do her part to grow the economy in '09, but she didn't seem too moved. I tried to detail how every win she can manage translates to a new Xbox 360 game for very important people affected by these global economic forces, but she shot back about Xboxes being made in China, and not wanting to support communism, indirectly or otherwise. I didn't have an answer for her, naturally, so I quickly left, wondering on the drive home how it had gotten to this point. She did look good, though...

No comments: